Call to Action
SAVE OUR SWALES PETITION
How to – Saskatchewan residents only, no age restrictions. Deadline is May 1st 2020.
1. Print the petition from the link below, there is also a fact sheet to provide information for those want to know more before signing.
2. Have 1-3 people sign the petition. If more than three signatures please print off additional sheets.
3. To ensure this petition is tabled in the Legislature, please:
Mail to NDP Caucus Office: 2405 Legislative Dr, Room 265, Regina, SK, S4S 0B3
Mail to/Drop off (Call for office hours): 621 Main St, Saskatoon, SK, S7H 0J8
Saskatoon Freeway threatens Northeast Swale
The Northeast Swale is a rare and endangered ecosystem on the edge of the city of Saskatoon. This native prairie is currently under threat from urban encroachment and the provinces proposed Saskatoon Freeway. The freeway will bring four lanes of high-speed truck traffic though multiple sensitive ecosystems.
Why is this an issue?
- At risk species have been found in the area, including short-eared owl, common night hawk, Sprague’s pipit, loggerhead shrike, northern leopard frog, western tiger salamander, rough plains fescue, and the crowfoot violet
- Further fragmentation could lead to loss of biodiversity
- Loss of habitat, wetlands and grasslands
- Increased direct animal mortality
- Pollutants from storm water run-off
Here’s how you can help!
- Print, sign and mail in the Save our Swales petition!
- Use the form below and send a letter of concern
- Take the survey on the Saskatoon Freeway Functional Planning Study webpage here
- Bring friends and family to the Swale for a prairie hike
- Citizen science; use iNaturalist or eBird to record species you see at the Swales
- Make a donation to Meewasin, which manages the Northeast Swale
- Contact us today to join our group and help us with our efforts to save the grasslands!